Wednesday, March 4, 2009

in jack we trust

"In Jack we trust" is a phrase spoken often on the DFMC team: in response to hard workouts, injury advice, long runs that end up being longer than they should, race strategies, etc.

And I can't remember where I saw it, but I once read a quote by our coach, Jack: "To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done."

True. And sometimes the truth hurts. Case in point: last night's track workout. Legs feeling a little heavy after the weekend's 20 miler, and a little tight after two days off, I wasn't really looking forward to track. (Does anyone ever really look forward to running in circles? Not likely.) But, if I really want to run a strong marathon on April 20, track is the name of the game.

Jack's workout was a version of the Yasso 800s -- the idea that if you do a lot of repeats of 800 meters, the pace should be a good predictor of your marathon potential. For example, if I run my 800s at 3:20, my marathon time could potentially be 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Jack's workout was 12 x 800 with only a minute recovery in between. YIKES. Definitely hard. Definitely a step up from the three or four 800s that we used to do in high school track. hah! I knew I was in trouble when the fifth one started to hurt...it would still be a long way to 12.

"Just make it to 6" I told myself. "Then at least you did half of them."

Okay, 6 repeats done.

"Just make it to 8" I told myself, "then you can stop. Your legs are tired from the 20 miles anyway."

Okay, 8 repeats done. And everybody else out here tonight has tired 20 mile legs too.

"Just make it to 10" I told myself, "then you can feel good about doing most of the workout."

Most??? Since when am I happy with doing mostly a good job?

So, legs burning and mind virtually a swimming pool, Aimee and I took turns pushing each other and leading the pace. It was definitely a struggle to maintain the 3:22 pace we started at...but as I was pushing through # 10, 11, and 12, all I could think was "to get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done." To get a qualifying time for next year's Boston Marathon (under 3 hours, 40 minutes), I have to push my body to it's limit now, and put all these good workouts in the bank. Come Marathon Monday, I want to line up in Hopkinton feeling like I did everything I could--and that hopefully the training will speak for itself. In Jack, I trust.

No comments: