Tuesday, January 13, 2009

a "yay" moment


Yes, this was me...for the better part of 3 months in the fall of 2007 after the bike accident. After weeks of staying in hiding in my apartment, I finally decided to brave the Boston bar scene with some college friends that I knew would take good care of me...and luckily, Sammy didn't desert me in spite of my fashionable accessories!

But, I post this photo to make a point! This week marks a momentous occasion: Aunt Karen will be finishing her chemotherapy treatments! Her battle has been long and much more arduous than my few months in a neck brace and a sling. So this post is simply a "yay" moment--for Aunt Karen, or for anyone that has ever had to endure the fragility of the human body, and discovered a different kind of strength in the process.

(a note about "yay" moments....as a third grade teacher, I am a big fan of the word "yay!" i use it often (more often than I should?) to describe anything from a good run, to a fun night out, to a student reading a big word correctly, to a life changing event. it just works. try it, you'll see!)

No comments: