Monday, January 19, 2009

thank god for JIM




JIM stretching and group shot before the run

Friday and Saturday saw some of the coldest days in a long time...I believe it was -10 at 8am when I started my long run on Saturday. Luckily, I didn't have to brave the 12 miles alone. I ran with JIM, otherwise known as "Joints in Motion". They run to raise money for the Arthritis Foundation, another great cause, and their Saturday runs are open to anybody training for Boston. I ran with a few people for most of the 12 miles, though I couldn't tell you their names because we were too cold to talk. So, thank god for JIM, because I wouldn't have motivated on my own!

After that brutal cold, the weather again ruined my plans for a run with Fred on Sunday. We had planned to do 5 or 6 miles at Walden Pond, but since Boston looked like this...

...we had to settle for brunch on Newbury Street and browsing around the Boston Public Library instead. I did get out for 5.5 miles today though, and the balmy 30 degrees was a welcome change!

Next weekend brings the Derry 16 miler, a race in New Hampshire that a lot of fellow DFMC-ers are running. It should be....interesting. My roommates Katie and Mo did it last year, and came home with tales of brutal snow and giant hills. Fun!

No comments: