Monday, January 26, 2009

last week's theme: testing my limits

Last week saw a convergence of many things: a severe lack of sleep, the most miles I've run in a week, the longest and coldest race I've done since the Chicago Marathon, and a nagging back pain that just won't quit! Let me explain...

Thursday's regular 9 mile run at Crossroads was great...I had a nice run and chat with Gordon at a pretty good pace. That man does not stop for traffic, the T, or green lights...so it's a good thing he was leading the way! Crossroads was more busy and more festive than usual after our run, which meant that I didn't drag myself home until after midnight--on a school night. oops. 6am for school on Friday was rough. Hours of sleep? barely 5.

Sunday was the big day that I've had my eye on for awhile: The Boston Prep 16 miler race in Derry, NH. Unfortunately it was also the morning after Shifter's marathon party, which I finally pulled myself away from at 1am. oops. 6am for the race on Sunday was rough. Hours of sleep? barely 5.

At Derry with fellow DFMC-ers from Boston, Marisa
and Mike. Read Mike's blog here: http://turningontoboylston.blogspot.com/

The temperature at the starting line in Derry was just 3 degrees. I had heard that Derry is famous for being hilly, cold, sometimes snowy, and just generally unforgiving. This was not an exaggeration. During the 16 miles, we were constantly going up and down, up and down, and it got to the point where I didn't want to go downhill...because it just meant I'd have to go up again. I can safely say that my legs have never burned like that before. You know it's bad when you want to stop and walk so badly, but then you realize that walking will only prolong your misery. So you keep running, if only to end the pain sooner.

I had no clue how I would fare going into the race, but I was pleasantly surprised; apparently the hill work at Crossroads is really paying off. I finished in very consistent 8-minute miles, for a total of 2:08:40. That lent a little confidence to my quest for a sub 4 hour marathon!



With Glen, fellow DFMC teammate after the race.
Read Glen's blog: http://borntorunandraise.blogspot.com/



After a solid 40 mile week, the theme of this next week will be new things: the start of Tuesday track workouts, and the start of cross training in the pool. It's both a blessing and a curse that we have DFMC runs on Tuesday, Thursday, and the weekends....awesome because I get to run and train with great people...but tough because the socializing afterward the running only contributes to my lack of sleep on school nights :)

1 comment:

BornToRun524 said...

I had no idea you were that fast - 8:03 pace - nice job. You will have to temper that for the Boston course! You need that pace after you finish the hills at 21 and the only way to accomplish that is by keeping something in reserve.

BTW - sleep is over rated!!