Monday, June 1, 2009

Little Swiney runs a Big Race

nb: due to the outbreak of the swine flu at my school, I have been dubbed "Lil Swiney" for the time being. My hope is that the nickname will end as soon as the swine flu vacation ends this week.

Last week was my first race since the marathon: a whopping 5 miler. (5 miles? That's your 'big race'? you are probably thinking). Unfortunately, my knee hasn't been loving this running thing very much recently, and I have probably run a total of 10 miles since the marathon--most of them completed with the companions of an awkward limp and a few choice words. I've tried resting, icing, elevating, stretching, massaging, poking, prodding, drugging, and running amidst the pain, but nothing seems to work.

So I set out to run the first race of the summer race series with a race plan I've never tried before: run till it hurts then walk the rest. Let's just say it hurt from step number 3, and it's the first time I've ever not run a full race. I did finish, but it was not pretty or fun...at least the after party was! Lil Swiney got to live it up since the swine flu vacation meant no school the next day!

No comments: