Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On my way home from school today, I got a voice mail from my co-teacher Carrie. She updated me quickly on a student situation (we never have time to talk about these things during the day!), then went on to say she was so excited for the marathon. "During my quiet alone time in the morning, every day this week, I've been thinking about you and sending good mental vibes your way. I am so excited for you, and just amazed at all the hard hard work you've put into this."

It's true, I have put in a lot of time and effort into training for this thing. About 700 miles, in fact. Which, at an average pace of 8:00/mile, is about 93 hours. (woah, I just scared myself with that math!) But none of it has ever felt like work to me. Sure, I had some bad runs and some days where I just didn't feel like turning my legs over. But most days, I actually look forward to my run...whether it's some alone time, or running with Katie and Aimee. Since I started running seriously, it's been the only constant thing in my life amidst leaving an old job and starting a new one, relationships beginning and ending, family and life changes, and lots of other hobbies that just didn't stick.

In general, I really like doing this, and it hasn't been a chore for me. Maybe this tapering has gone to my head...

1 comment:

nicole marie derr said...

Awesome blog, Betsy! You and Katie have got me seriously inspired. I've been focusing on 1/2 marathons of late, but maybe you've changed my mind... good luck and have fun out there!