Monday, February 23, 2009

Ok, here's the full story from Hyannis, now that I am warm, fed, and well-rested...


Hyannis is nothing if not a little bit of a shitshow. Maybe that's why we love it so much...it kind of suits us.

It was cold, rainy, and dreary in Hyannis for our marathon relay, but that didn't dampen the fun! Katie and I kicked off our relay team together; her plan was to get in a 20 mile training run, while my plan was to bust out a hard half marathon. We both succeeded! Katie, being the iron woman that she is, paced me for the first seven miles and I ended up with a new half marathon PR--1:38. It's more than a minute faster than my previous PR, though still not quite as fast as I'd hoped. I really do need to learn how to pace myself better and run negative splits....but back to the interesting stuff...

Coming through the half marathon point, we handed off to Mo, who ran a courageous 7.3 miles in the rain even though she was sick. As she made it to Craigville Beach for the final handoff to Kiirsten, the poor thing couldn't stop shivering! What a brave roommate she is!

Even with a fever and nausea (and 12 pounds of layers), Mo is still smiling.

Kiirsten took over the baton for the final anchor leg, and turned in quite a stellar performance! She decided NOT to go for a training run the night before the race this year, and we all thanked her for that. By the time her leg was up, she had to battle the worst of the rain and wind. But she came running through the finish line with a smile. It was her best run ever, and she finished her leg way before we even thought to look for her!

So Kiirsten, when will you start running marathons with us?

All in all it was a GREAT weekend...despite the snow/rain, despite my poorly executed splits, despite Mo being sick, despite Kiirsten's driving...simply GREAT. More fun than riding a bike, actually ;)

Team Chico pee before the race (yes, we really are dorky enough to all wear our race shirts)


No comments: