Wednesday, February 4, 2009

mind over matter

Last night was week #2 of track....ugh, track. I would rather run 16 or 18 miles than do a track workout, and I don't even pretend to keep this hatred a secret! Last night's workout was 600 meter repeats--12 of them. Because I am hoping to run the marathon in 8:20 per mile, that meant about 2:25 per 600 meters.

At the beginning of the workout, that just seemed so, well, insurmountable! That's essentially 4.5 miles of hard running, and that doesn't even include the brief "rest" (ie, easy running) in between repeats. As we worked our way though the 600s, they got harder and harder, and my legs got heavier. And by the middle of the last set, I pretty much wanted to give up.

BUT (and as I tell my students, watch out for this BIG BUT coming through the door), track is necessary if I really want to run a qualifying time for next year's Boston Marathon. So luckily for me, there are good people that run track on Tuesdays. I would not have made it through last night's workout without Katie and Aimee. I would have run a lot slower if they hadn't been there both pushing me from behind, pulling me from up front, and making me lead every few repeats! Good people running together seems to be the theme of DFMC. And I love that with track, crossroads, and long weekend runs, I get to see the same good people up to three times a week!

Up next on the agenda is a 'team' run with Katie, Kiirsten, and Mo down in New Haven this weekend--in preparation for our Hyannis Marathon Relay in a few weeks. Then Sunday is group run day (17-18 miles) and then haircuts on Newbury Street and drinks with some of the DFMC girls!

No comments: