Saturday, August 1, 2009

Little Betsy and Dad run a Big Race

Today was the annual Beach to Beacon 10k in Cape Elizabeth Maine--something of a family tradition for the Gotts. The 10k race began 12 years ago by none other than Joanie Benoit, my running hero and fellow Bowdoinite. Since the inaugural Beach to Beacon, my Dad has run all 12 years, and my brothers and I have joined him whenever our summer schedules allow.
As things usually are in the Gott Family, the race becomes The Competition of the summer. When my brothers Ted and Tom run, we always talk a big game and try to out-train, out-talk, and out-run each other. When it's just Dad and me, I always train secretly and then try to crush him after the first few miles.

Last year's Beach to Beacon fell during my training for the Chicago Marathon....and being in really good shape, I ran a 10k PR. Today was a completely different race though. Coming off this knee pain and having raced just 36 hours ago in Boston, I decided to stick with Dad for the whole 6.2 miles this year. He (literally) dragged me through the first 3 flat miles, and when we hit the hills at mile 4ish, I actually started to feel a little more warmed up.

This race is fun and special because I started running it way back as a semi-interested high school runner. I wasn't very fast, or very excited about running, but it was a fun thing to do with my Dad. It was neat to run with him this year because Dad was a huge reason I ever started running in the first place! He ran in high school and at the University of Maine, and even when I brought up the rear in high school track meets, he was supportive and excited. We crossed the finish line together this morning, and although I tried to let him win by a step, we actually tied in the official results!

Here's how we spent the rest of the afternoon:

No comments: